Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nut Bar

Oct 6 2007
Today 137.9 Total 8288.1
Well what a night. the wind was howling and my tarp at one particularly bad gust blew apart. It shredded down the one end and flung all the pegs on the one side of the hammock everywhere. Three in the morning and I'm hunting for brownish pieces of wire with a headlamp on. I never did find all of them. I took the tarp off and replaced it with the original hammock tarp and slept like a baby rocked to sleep until 7:00.
Well I found the fall colours they were on the east side of the trail. Breath taking views and hills.
This is one of my favorite shots.
I think everyone needs to put the Cabot Trail on their life list of things to see and do. But for God's sake DON'T do it on a bike. Enjoy the thing. See it in a car or on a motorcycle. You need your head examined if you want to cycle it. I've done most the country and the only T-shirt I want says 'I'm an Idiot, I cycled the Cabot Trail'.
Yeah I'm done the trail.
I did meet other masochists on the trail. I played pass with an gentleman from Alberta for three days. He was traveling faster than me but he he put in shorter (time) days. He was staying in hotels and I was camping. I would be on the road early and he would sleep in then he would pass me around lunch each day. We had lunch together the one day. We were putting in very similar km but he was doing it several hours quicker than me. I really am a mule plodding along out there. I also passed two different couples cycling the trail. They were cycling the other direction which I believe is the steeper harder route. Good for them. Nut bars.
I managed to make it to the Newfoundland Ferry just after dark. At one point I was coming down a hill a whopping 8% and it felt positively flat after the monsters I had done. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

No comments: