Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Cabot Trail

Oct 6 2007

Today 102.2 Total 8150.2

I tend to have a bit of a jaded view of road based on what people tell me. It seems everyone I meet has the biggest and worst hill in Canada. So when I was have breakfast in Cheticamp and they were warning me about the hills I smiled and reassured them that I had done the Rockies and several other passes in BC.
The Rockies don't even compare to the Cabot Trail. The Cabot Trail wins hands down as the most intense ride I have experienced on the trip. I was riding down things that would have made ski hills jealous.
This is the warm up hill. The steep stuff is later.
Love that gorgeous helmet hair.

It was very windy most of the day. It seemed to be on my back going up the hills, which was a blessing but coming down you never knew which way it was going to slap you from. And did it slap you. I was coming down one section of road that was very steep and I was going way to fast when one of the gust slapped me. I was sure I was going down. All I could think was this was really going to hurt. I don't know how I managed it but I stayed up but in the process I whiplashed my neck. I was just so thankful to have most of my skin still attached to my body that I didn't care.
I had hoped to make it to Broad Cove but based on what I did I'm proud I made it to South Harbour. I'm staying at a little campsite called Hidden Cove very pretty right on the ocean. They have tried to give me a spot sheltered from the wind but it is still pretty gusty here.

No comments: