Monday, October 8, 2007

Chez Les Maury

Sept 29 2007
Today 150.7 Total 7272.9
I stealth camped last night. It was windy and rainy when I set up camp so I crawled right into bed. It was only about 7:00. I woke to bright light I felt well rested so I got up. It was the moon light. I checked my watch, it was two in the morning. I lay there for a bit wide awake I figured being a Friday night Flip would still be up so I called him. We talked for about an hour. When I hung up with him I called Sheri (she's working nights) and we talked for an hour. Sometimes cell phones are great to have. I kept hearing noises in the bush after that. Just me being a little spooked. So I was up and on the road by 6:00. It was still as dark as midnight. So I took it easy and every time I heard a car I jumped off the road.
It was a nice riding at that time of the day hardly any traffic. I had a skunk trot across the road in front of me and then a couple km later a red fox darted across and stopped a stared at me going by. I saw my first moose since Alberta. She saw me and gangled her way at a fast trot into the bush. Good girl was what I was thinking.
The area is very Accadian. Flags every where and the Accadian star on houses. I found a little campground that was still open. They also had a small winery called Chez Les Maury. Everyone here speaks French but they don't treat you like you've just soiled yourself in public if you speak English to them. A very friendly and open group of people. They had just had their grape harvest that day so it was very festive. They had different family members up singing and playing guitar. After some wine drinking there were sing-alongs and dancing. Unfortunately with my very early start to the morning I couldn't make it past 9:00 but I would wake periodically and hear them into the wee hours.

No comments: