Thursday, October 18, 2007

Home Again

I really enjoyed my last day touring around St John's. I did all the typical tourist stuff, Signal Hill, The Rooms, George Street and checking out the Jellybean houses. Unfortunately the lobsters had the last laugh they were out of season so I had cod tongue with scrunchions, (fried pork fat) instead. It was surprisingly good. I hear not everyone likes it but hey fried pork fat, chewy tongues it doesn't get much better than that. I stayed in a hostel on Duckworth St. My last night I got to spend with two hot twenty something Brazilian men sharing sharing my co-ed dorm room. My inner cougar approved...until they started snoring.

I'm very glad to be home. I'm slowly falling back into routines though nothing has been routine yet as the whole family readjusts and celebrates me being home. My sister and nephew spent the night last night and we were up until the wee hours visiting. Both kids and their significant others were here as well. It nice to see the family growing and evolving. Phil's brother, wife and maybe their kids are coming tonight as well as few friends. So I imagine it will be another late night.

Two weeks ago, near the end of my trip a good friend of ours died suddenly of a heart condition. Phil agonized over whether to tell me or not. He knew I would have come home immediately. He choose to wait until I had finished my journey and was home. I respect his decision. I'm glad I was given the chance to finish my trip but I feel bad for not being here to support my girlfriend. Phil has a business trip that is taking him to Toronto at the end of the month. After that we will try to get down to Kamloops to give our condolences and support.

It is almost surreal falling back into a normal routine that doesn't require being on a bicycle for eight + hours a day. Readjusting my eating habits will take a conscious effort as well. Picking up a power bar and thinking, "Its got 300 calories put it down." Instead of, "Its only got 300 calories I'm going to need to eat several of these." Even with my effort to eat well I lost just shy of thirty pounds. Instead of I left my heart in San Fransisco my song will be I left my boobs in Eastern Canada. The skinniest jeans I own I can get on and off without undoing the button or zipper. I'm refraining from running out and buying a whole new wardrobe (as tempting as it is) until my body has a chance to adjust to life at home.

2 comments:

Kelly O said...

Welcome home. I imagine it is both a pleasure and a bit painful to settle into 'normal life'. You had such a great adventure and have lived one of your dreams. Now you have to get through all those pictures and show them to us.

Give Phil and the kids big hugs from all of us.

Ritsin said...

Welcome back Leanna.

We were shocked and saddened to hear of Steve's passing. Don went to the service and there was about 250 people there - a man loved and missed by many.