Thursday, August 30, 2007

Yee Haw!!!!!!!

Today 247. 8 Total 3699.9
Yes you read that right 247.8 big ones. Sing with me, OHHHHHHH what a feeeellling, what a rush. Yesterday I was ready to quit and today you couldn't stop me. I had a massive tail wind, a slight down hill and the urge to GO. I rode down hwy 16 to Westbourne. From there I made a judgement call the wind was blowing strong with stronger gusts. As I started heading south the gusts would bounce me into traffic. With little or no shoulder I felt it was crazy to continue that way sooo.... I took #227. 60 Km of gravel but low traffic and the wind was straight behind me. Not a road I would suggest to any one with a delicate bike but Phebea's a mule (like me) so we did great. From there I took Hwy 67 until it ran out then I took Hwy 9 south to Hwy 44 by that time the winds and I were both dying but I couldn't find a campsite anywhere. I stopped in Garson to get a hotel room. He was booked up but if I wanted to wanted one the 28th I could have one then. (I almost got the feeling that he wanted me to wait on the back step until then.) He told we there was a hotel in Tyndell a few KM down the road. By this time the sun had set and even with all my flashing lights and reflective gear I was feeling very vulnerable. I pulled into Tyndell and asked a couple of the local gentlemen where the hotel was. They told me but were quite emphatic that I not stay there. So I asked if I could pitch my tent their backyard. They obliged. As I set up Gary was happy to see I had bear spray. He reminded that I was getting back into bear country which was good because after crossing the prairies I had become a little relaxed about them. An hour later I was set up, my clothes were in the dryer and I was happily visiting with the Ross family, Gary and Kim, their kids Justin, Tyler and Aaron, their neighbour and Kim's mom. My faith in humanity restored.
A barn in Beaudejour

No comments: