Thursday, August 23, 2007

Me and the road

I started the day with hot coffee and great conversation with Doreen. it was a lot nicer than having to scurry around trying to break camp.

Doreen Bacon

I had a good tailwind for most of the day. More south than east but I was able to benefit from both. I made an alarming discovery it turns out my back fender has been rubbing slightly on my back tire and it has caused it to become wore almost though. I call Phil and the closest bike shop is on the way is in Yorkton. Of course they aren't open on Sundays so I'm going to have to push hard to get there for Saturday.


Hwy 31 continues to be rough and narrow but there is little traffic so I have the road to myself. The exception was the farm vehicles. These are huge machines taking up both lanes usually pushing something that looked like it was designed during the middle ages as a confessional devise. When I saw one one of these beasties coming I would dive off the road.

Yield to the spiky thing.



The driver would always give me a friendly wave. The whole province has given me a friendly wave. Almost every vehicle I pass waves at me. I am totally automated now I wave at everyone. Its kind of nice. I saw my first living badger today but he flattened himself out and scurried into the tall grass before I could get the camera out.


The view most animals give me.

I was riding just outside of Outlook towards Broderick when two young girls in a older white sedan drove by grinning and waving furiously. They went ahead turned around came back grinning and waving then pulled another u-turn still grinning and waving they headed down the road in the same direction I was heading. They made me laugh. About twenty minutes later as I got to the first turn into Broderick there was a young guy sitting on the side of the road on his bike. I thought this was kind of odd but I said hi and carried on. He started talking to me his name was Bryan. It turns out he did the cross Canada trip in two stages in 2002 and 2003. The sun was setting and he offered to let me stay in his yard. I was a little suspicious until I got to his house the two girls that had been waving where parked in the driveway. They probably came and told him about me and that's why he was just sitting on the side of the road. I relaxed after that. So I am camped in his backyard after enjoying another hot shower. I love Saskatchewan.

1 comment:

Kelly O said...

It is nice to know that there is so much hospitality left out there.

Hot Shower, nice.