Thursday, August 30, 2007

And the Title Goes To...

Aug 27 2007
Today 159.3 Total 4193.8
Well its official I've had my worst meal yet. Nothing else (not even lunch yesterday), has even come close. The day's riding had been fairly average the traffic was heavy, the shoulders were small and it drizzled all day. I think you've heard that song before. I pulled into Ignace around 4:00 and thought I would have an early dinner. Now one thing that I have been trying to do on my trip is to NOT eat at any major chains. I have been desperately trying to support the little Mom and Pop diners. So I pull in to town on one side of the street is a Subway on the other is soon to be the bane of my existence. I sit down at a booth and after about five or so minutes I get up and go rouse some one from the kitchen. She lets me now just how busy she is, (I'm the only person in the restaurant) and plops a menu in front of me. I have been craving vegetables. Salads, carrots, crispy things. So the meal I ordered I chose because it came with "seasonal vegetables" and coleslaw.
I'm not quite sure what season my veggies were from but I'm thinking circa 1979. it was one of those canned vegetable medleys, small diced carrots, grey-green peas, chewy corn nibblets, and small stringy pieces of beans. All cooked beyond flavour or hope. The chicken was deep fried with equal 70's fervor to the point that some of the smaller bones had turned to dust. we won't talk about the fries. The coleslaw never showed up. I didn't ask for it. I didn't want it.
As I gnawed my way through some of the chicken I could help but look longingly out the window at the Subway.

It has been three days since that meal and my stomach still hasn't settled. The view for three days.

No comments: