Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Bacons



Aug 14 2007


51 47.876 N


108 49.677 W


Today 141.2 Total 2701.0 Km


The day started nasty with strong headwinds blowing south to north. It took me 2 and a half hours to go 24 Km to Macklin. Well I'm in Saskatchewan there was no sign so I didn't get a picture. Oh well after losing my BC pictures I'm less worried about it. I stopped and lunch just south of Salvador. It was a very pretty spot tons of butterflies. I had trouble getting photos of them they were camera shy.


I used the time to dry everything I own out. Everything was sopping wet from the continuous misting from the day before. The condensation had even worked its way into my telephoto lens and I've been very careful with it. My good luck with roads ran out when I hit Hwy 31. The road to Dodsland has been a mess of potholes, roughness and gravel. I pulled into Dodsland exhausted.

Sage antelope on the side of the road.

When I got to the campsite I was underwhelmed. No showers, no picnic tables, no trees not even an outhouse. Oh well beggars can't be choosers. One of the local gentlemen came by and talked to me a bit and said if I needed to use the washroom I could come to his house. I thanked him and he left. five minutes later he was back. "Why don't you come camp in my backyard?" By the time I had followed him to his house he had me set in his travel van. His name is Weldon Bacon his wife's name is Doreen. So I have had a shower, I have a roof over my head and I feel great.

On a side note I thought of Frank today as I dodged fuzzy caterpillars all day. There were hundreds of them crossing the road.

1 comment:

Kelly O said...

I have this mental picture of you starting a caterpiller stampede, very funny.