Friday, August 24, 2007

A Month of Riding

Aug 18 2007
Today 92.2 Total 3204.2
I had a good though interrupted sleep in Kelliher. The campground is just off the railroad tracks and the main highway. Every time a train went through town it sounded at every crossing . About five times. Then I had a couple coyotes sniffing around which I scared off by turning on my flashlight. Finally a huge lingering thunderstorm blew through. It was about a mile to the north of me but a few of the strikes were retina burning through the tarp and my eyelids. Adding to the thrill factor is the fact that I'm tied to two trees. I don't normally but last night I brought Phebea under the tarp with me. I'm really glad I did. It rained buckets during the storm and everything would have been soaked. I am writing this snug in my hammock delaying getting out of bed. The winds are howling and I just don't feel like tackling them yet. At least the rain has stopped.
Local farm near sunrise
More headwinds coming into Yorkton it was very discouraging and exhausting. At least I only had ninety km to do.
The creatures of the day were frogs and salamanders. The were hundreds of frogs on the road after the storm all about the size of a quarter. They had an alarming habit of jumping just as I was riding by. It was kind of nasty when I couldn't avoid them. The salamanders were chowing down on the plentiful feast.

No comments: