Sunday, September 16, 2007

North Bay

Sept 9 2007
Phebea has been groaning and creaking like an old lady so I have been trying to find a bike shop to see if I can get her fixed up. It was Sunday when I got to North Bay so almost everything downtown was closed. I found a fabulous brunch and proceeded to eat my body weight in protein. Eggs, ham, bacon, roast beef, BBQ chicken, satay chicken, sausages. Meat glorious meat. The meat I usually have is so over processed it's nasty. I also found a little bike shop that was open. I forgot the name of the shop but they worked on bike for two hours adjusted half a dozen things and replaced the rear derailer. Then after all that they didn't charge me for any of the labour. Phebea has been running like a top ever since.
Since I found out Phil is meeting me in Quebec I've been able to ease up on my pace a fair bit.
So I`ve been taking a lot more breaks and enjoying shorter riding days. Boy my body is loving that. No achy knees, no sore bottom.
I was pulled over at a little rest stop I heard some traffic go by and what sounded like one of the vehicles pulling an empty boat trailer. About forty seconds later I heard the empty boat trailer noise again but this time there was no traffic going by. I knew immediately what the noise was. I walked over to one of the garbage can lifted the lid and peeked in.
Inside was a young raccoon. He was stuck.
I went and got a dead tree branch so he could climb out.
The whole time he was growling and huffing at me. As soon as he was free of the can he went straight over to another can and climbed in.
Lesson learned; I guess not. So I headed back to the picnic table where I was having my dinner. I watched the raccoon while he did his rounds the whole time he was throwing me dirty looks. As he was coming out of the last garbage can he suddenly realized my whole table was full of food. In the six steps it took him to get from the garbage can to my table he went from growling scruffy juvenile delinquent to fluffy churring prom queen. No, I didn't share much to his disgust.

No comments: