Friday, September 7, 2007

The Big Bonk

Sept 2 2007
Today 153.6 Total 4753.8
Well so much for the whole girl idea. 40 min into my ride I was caught in a torrential downpour, then an hour later it turned hot. Muggy hot. It felt like one of the warmest days I've ever biked in. I drank 4 Litres of water in an attempt to stay hydrated unfortunately that threw my electrolytes out of balance and then I became calorie deficient near the end of the day. I had planned on staying at White Lake campground but with the oh so great map I have I judged it at being about 20 Km closer than It actually was.
A shot of Lake Superior.
I had planned on eating an early dinner at Marathon but the restaurant I stopped at was closed there was one about two Km back but when I talked to one of the locals he informed there was another restaurant in a couple Km. When I got there it was closed as well. This was about 4:30 and my last real meal had been about 11:00 in the morning. So I pulled out the map from hell and figured I could be at the campground by 6:30 and I would cook dinner then.
The road kept going and going. The last five Km were hell. I would bike for half a Km and then I would need to take a break. I was physically and mentally done. It was 7:30 when I rounded a corner and saw a motel and restaurant. It was weird people were talking to me and I felt like I was talking back to them through a tunnel.
A hot shower and a hot meal later I felt a lot better still fatigued but not exhausted.
This was the third most challenging day of the trip so far.

No comments: