Thursday, September 27, 2007

2nd Class Citizen

One of the best things about traveling through Quebec is the cows are used to cyclist. You can tell by their panicked body language. They paid more attention to me when I stopped to take the picture.

Another thing is the Quebec drivers have been fantastic. If I get hit by a car here it will be because I'm so busy gawking around at the old houses that I'm wobbling around like a sailor on his third day of shore leave.
The strangest thing is it cost the same to camp here as it does to stay in some of the Auberges. I spent the night of the 24th at a provincial campground. It was almost $35.00 plus tax. Plus I had to pay for my showers. I was the only person in a tent I was also the only person using the showers and public toilet so as a result I was situated 10 min walking distance away from it. This was the closest camping spot to it. If you picture a dart board with the washrooms being the bull's eye. The 25 point section was where the full hook-ups and 40 amp service was. The next closest section out to the triple mark was full hook-up and the 30 amp service, from the double-in mark was water service. Then to get where the no service sites are lob a shot that sticks half way down the wall to the floor and that's where I was camped. The closest light to me was a five minute walk away. It would have cost me $10 more to be closer. If I hadn't needed a shower so bad I just would have carried on and stealth camped.
So I get my camp set up and walk back to the washrooms for a well earned shower. The washroom was set up in the typical L shaped configuration with the door and very small window at one end and the showers at the very far end. Like I said I am the only person using the showers everyone else is in huge motorhomes and 5th wheels. So I get in the shower cubicle putter around getting everything in order towel, shampoo, clothes, quarters etc. I strip off and throw the first quarter in and wait for the water to heat up. It takes the second quarter until I can get in the water I just get lathered up and the lights go out.
Now two thoughts go through my mind one whoo hoo the power has gone out and I'm going to have the longest 25 cent shower ever and two some physco was up to no good. So I'm trying to wash up and its darker than the inside of cow. So instead of the great long shower I had envisioned I end up hurrying through my shower in case it was a power outage and the hot water turned cold. So I dry off in the pitch black, dress half damp in the pitch black, gather everything up and feel my way down the hallway to the other end of the L where the sinks are and bink the lights come back on. They are motion sensor activated. There are times when I say some very un-lady-like things.
So the night of the 25th I spent at in a Auberge in Saybec very pretty little town, with very friendly town folk. Same price my own room, a TV, free bath, and they let me do a load of laundry.


2 comments:

Ritsin said...

Maybe the cows were panicky as they may have recognized you and your previous reputation. "Zut alors, une vache anglaise qui aboie."

Kelly O said...

I don't want to know how or why you know how dark the inside of a cow is. Poor Phil.