Saturday, June 9, 2007

More Instant Karma

June 6 10th Day of Riding
49 05.742 N 118 40.600 W
83.2 Km Total 1072.4
I had a late start as Doug had to drive me from Kelowna back to Osoyoos which is a two hour trip. By the time I got everything organized it was 8:08 am. My ride up Anarchist Summit felt great. I made good time and I felt strong. I was excited because I sure I could make Grand Forks. That's when mother nature got nasty. I rode the rest of the way into a strong swirling headwind. When I wasn't pedalling like crazy to go down hill I had to check my speed down the steeper sections because of the gusts. Very frustrating. There is nothing between Grand Forks and Greenwood except the pass so I made a judgement call and called it a day at 5:30 in Greenwood. So now I am 140 Km and 3 passes away from Castlegar. I have already called Dad and told him I wouldn't be there until Friday. I think I'll do two short days and enjoy the sights.
The roads were pretty good with wide shoulders that varied in quality. At times it was a patchwork of bumps, cracks and debris. So usually I was riding on the right side of the car lane and moving over when there was traffic in both directions. I was coming up an incline when a silver car, a black truck and a grey car came barrelling over the rise. I glanced in my rear view mirror to see if I need to move over to make room for the traffic in my lane. There was nothing coming. When I looked up again I suddenly realized that the little grey car had crossed the double yellow line and was zooming down on me. I cut over onto the shoulder and as I bumped along I shook my head, threw him a dirty look and insulted (in very un-lady-like terms), both the driver of the car and the linage his mother. The car then cut back in front of the black truck. It wasn't safe for him to pass both vehicles. I looked back in my rear view mirror just in time to see the truck light up like a Christmas tree with flashing blue and red lights everywhere. Instant Karma again. They were gone over the next rise before I saw the car pulled over but I giggled all the way to Bridesville.

1 comment:

Kelly O said...

Karma rears her lovely head.