Monday, June 18, 2007

Info Booth?

June 13 2007
50 35.190 N 116 02.275 W
Today 145.2 Total 1488.7
I slept in today so by the time I had everything packed up I had the big decision: push hard and get to Radium late or lallygag and spend the night in Fairmont at the hot springs. Lallygagging won. I had a late breakfast and then I stopped at Skookumchuck for a very nutritious snack of dill pickle chips, skittles and red bull. I guess it was the body wanted because the next 55 km flew by. I was just getting fatigued as I pulled into Fairmont. It was only 4:30 but I decided to call it a day and spend some time in the hot pools. The road to Fairmont is two km off the beaten track so I stopped at pub at the bottom the hill. Being Wednesday wings were on special so I ordered twenty. I also had two Guinness. If any one has every driven up to Fairmont they can attest to the fact that it is up, straight up. It had to be at least a 9% grade. Doing it cold was insane. Doing it after a trip to the pub was ludicrous. The spicy Thai wings sat somewhere between my stomach and my throat with the Guinness rumbling away underneath.
I had stopped at the Info booth on the way into town. They did mention that it was two km up the hill to the hot springs. What they neglected to mention the campground doesn't allow tenters, (it was fairly obvious I wasn't pulling a trailer.) They also neglected to mention that the hot pools were closed for maintenance.
All information I would have appreciated at the bottom of the hill.
They were going to let me stay in a grassy field with no amenities for the bargain rate of $24. but I declined.
I hopped back on my bike and did another 35km getting this side of Radium. All the while the Guinness and wings slowly protested it's way through my digestive system.
Red Bull + cycling = good
Guinness + cycling = very bad

No comments: