Monday, May 28, 2007

The Yellow Brick Road

May 27th 2007 5th Day of riding

49 19.171 N 124 19.988W

99 Km total 523.8 Km



I was up early again today. I'm kind of excited about today as it is the last day of riding in the wrong direction. To get from Selena's to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal Selena suggested that I look up some cycling routes on the Internet. A very good call on her part. the route through Surry, Delta and Ladner was well marked, with nice quiet side roads and was easy to follow. I only had to consult my map a couple of times and that was more for my own reassurance. At one of these times a local cyclist asked me if I was lost and then guided me for a few km. I didn't catch her name but it was very nice of her. It took me almost exactly 3 hrs to get to the ferry terminal from Selena's place.

It took me 3hrs 10 mins to get to my aunt Brenda's house in Parksville from Duke Point. I could have done it faster but I was too busy smelling the flowers.....literally. It was like being spit out into OZ. The embankments were a riot of colours with all the different flowers. I only know the names of a few but it was just beautiful. I hope the pictures I took when I post them turn out as well as in person. The cycling lane for the first 20 Km was huge. Easily the size of one of the car lanes. But all good things must come to an end, (lions, and tigers, and bears; Oh my,) and it seemed every time they upped the speed limit for the vehicles they decreased the size of the cycle lane. The last 5 km were nerve racking, it really confirmed my decision to not take the Coquihalla as a good one.

It is great to see everyone again. I love family; how you just fall into place like the right puzzle piece. Comfortable and snug. I'm taking my bike to one of the local shops to have them check my brakes again. I just had them done at Spoke-n-Motion before I left but they feel soft again and the rear one is squeaking. I'm not too happy about that. hopefully I just need new pads.

No comments: