Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hills and Headwinds


May 23rd 2nd Day riding
50⁰11.133 N 121⁰34.326 W
88.5 Km total 203.3 Km
Today was a harder day than yesterday. Headwinds, hills and mule breaks, (the ass refused to go any farther).
I woke later than I had hoped and then it took longer to break camp than I had anticipated. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I felt. I was only ten Km into my trio when I bumped into Ted from Salt Spring Island. He is on his way to see his new grand baby in Calgary. We compared notes (or rather I took them from him and he analyzed mine). He did the cross Canada trip 2004 and he shared some good ideas. He had left Spences Bridge that morning and still hadn’t eaten anything. The only restaurant in town didn’t open until 11:30. I gave him a spare orange and we parted ways. Hwy 8 was quiet all morning 24 cars in 42 Km. It was the damn headwind, there is something very disheartening about having to gear down to go downhill. I fought down the hills and then I fought up the hills. After I got on Hwy 1 I had planned on making it a short day by stopping at Skihist Provincial Park. I rolled in at about 4 pm. I rode up (I mean Up) 800 metres to the park entrance. $17.00 for the night, cash only, exact change only. I only had a twenty. I sat there debating stay or go when an old guy in a brand new diesel truck rolled up pulling a state of the art 30 ft trailer and was able to pay $8.50, the senior’s rate. Raza fraza, mumble, mumble. So I rode back down to the day park had a nice long dinner break and then rode just south of Lytton and found a very picturesque stealth spot.

Just me and a humming bird.

No comments: