Saturday, May 26, 2007

Trucks and Tunnels


May 24th 3rd day riding
49⁰22.811N 121⁰ 25.510W
102.2 Km Total 305.5 Km
It was a downhill day and I was still barely made my Km quota. I have 100 Km to get to Selena’s and the way I’m feeling I hope I make it. Nothing hurts to much more just general fatigue. Today was the first day I had to put a jacket on. It was chilly and I wasn’t working that hard. I made Jackass Summit early while I was still fresh.

Breakfast for the soul.

It actually felt good. A little breakfast for the soul. From Lytton to Boston Bar the roads were great. For the most part smooth with wide shoulders. I understand rumble strips form a driver’s point of view but for cyclist they are a nightmare. There were times when there was technically a 3-4 ft shoulder that I couldn’t use the area closest to the road (the cleanest) had a 1 foot rumble strip and beyond that was a mine field of loose gravel, garbage and car parts. I was clocking down the hills at some fair clips and venturing over there would have been suicide. Luckily traffic was light.
I don’t like tunnels. I used but not anymore. I had to go through 6 (?) there is nothing like pedalling like your life depends it ( because it does) while a semi sounding like the hounds of hell slowly gains on you. I don’t want to have that much fun again for awhile. After that I walked through the long tunnels (there was a sign saying ride on the sidewalk but it was in the same condition as the 3 ft shoulder. I was afraid of puncturing a tire or getting bucked off into the road), or rode like hell through the short ones. After Yale the trip was very pretty and very uneventful. I’m spending the night at the Coquihalla Campground in Hope $14.00 and pay showers. Hmmm showers.

No comments: