Saturday, May 26, 2007

Instant Karma

May 25th 4th Day riding
49⁰ 11.328N 122⁰ 45.543W
119.3 Km Total 424.8 Km
I was up early courtesy of the crows. Bird song in the morning is best saved for meadowlarks. I think I beat my 6:00 alarm by 45 min. I was well rested as I have been sleeping well in the hammock tent with the new sleeping bag. I am definitely cocooned in there. Take down took about an hour and a half. I think that is a little time as I can get it down to. Really when you look at long it takes to get ready at home in the morning, eat, bathe, clean up etc, I’m not doing too bad. I took the #7 Hwy from Hope. Fairly flat roads today with one nasty hill. According to my GPS I gain 67 Metres in 1.1 KM the sign at the top said 11% grade but I don’t believe it. So being fatigued I ended up walking most of it. I’m sure the first of many.
I met a young guy from Montreal named Jacob (?) He had already biked from Montreal through the Maritimes flew to Vancouver and was biking home.
The hardest thing about biking today was the loss of my mirror. Phebea (my trusted stead) took a tumble and it snapped off. It made riding in the city traffic that much harder. It wasn’t too terrible but the shoulder in spots is just the white strip then falls off into gravel. Other parts were broken up with tire grabbing cracks. It’s shame really when you think of what a popular cycling route this is.
I took the Albion ferry across to Fort Langley. If I have more time on the trip back I think I’ll spend a little time there. It looked like quaint little place. I took 96 Ave until it turned into the Barnston Dr to get to Selena’s place. One of those streets that gradually gets busier and busier. The semis were great giving me lots of room. It was the sedans doing 90 in the 60 zone that were scaring me. One guy pull up alongside me rolled his passenger window down and told me that I shouldn’t be on the road but should be riding on the sidewalk across the street! (It was the only sidewalk.) I thanked for his input and he left very upset that I wouldn’t get off the road. After about another kilometre there was section of the road that made been cordoned off so cyclist and pedestrians could have safe passage. I had been enjoying that when I saw two vehicles parked in that lane. I was going to give them a comment when a realized it was the same guy sharing insurance info because he had rear-ended someone else. (Minor damage). So I got off my bike and walked around their two vehicles. He didn’t say word to me that time. I had misjudged the distance to Selena’s house so it came as a pleasant surprise when suddenly I was there.
I was greeted with a warm welcome, a hot bath, a cold beverage, and a great meal. Last night I had been happily munching on rehydrated burger, with some dried veggie flakes mixed with instant potatoes. As a chaser I was drinking crystal light out of a camel back. Tonight it was Ahi tuna, seared and blue rare, over stir fried asparagus, snow peas, and carrots served on afresh bed of spinach. My chaser was caramel apple martini. The difference a day makes.

Dustin (my brother-in-law) making an apple martini.

No comments: